MY PROJECT TO EAT AT EVERY EATING ESTABLISHMENT ON COLFAX, FROM GRANT TO COLORADO BLVD IN GEOGRAPHICAL ORDER, MINUS THE CHAINS.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

China Kitchen ($1.25 Scoop), in two acts. Act 1: Welcome to the 400’s aka My Notions as I Conceive Them

Groggily forcing myself out of bed after an hour of Lost-inspired, snooze-induced dreams, only to discover there was nary a drop of hot water left in my apartment pipes, I then had a most redeemable walk-to-work down Colfax in the sunshine. I was open. And by open I mean I was making furitve upward glances in the guise of eye-contact, giving the Sarah-when-she-was-10 lips disappeared mouth corners turned upward cheeks poofed out a bit smile, like when you’re looking at an old person with a mixture of compassion and pity. But really, that’s how I smile when I’m a little uncomfortable but trying. After the chains, after the venues, heading toward my now familiar and entirely eaten-at block, things actually become comfortable. I am forming bonafide and well qualified feelings for this place, this Colfax, western east-end. I approach the hulking mass of constuction going up on the north side of the street at Pearl, still wholy convinced it’s not going to be anything pretty. I wish for a mixed-use, Leed-certified, hip retail/progressive business/low-income housing-type space, but I know it’s just going to be a another bank or something akin.  Here I go under the blue tunnel walkway, did someone actually paint it blue and did that happen before or after it was erected? The best part, the end of the tunnel, the sign and the cathedral behind it: 
There’s no one behind me today and it’s sunny so the color contrast will be acceptable so out comes the camera and I get the perfect shot. Then emerging into the glorious morning, the church courtyard and garden on my right, an elderly lady, a middle-aged lady, and a teenage girl all linked-in-arms behind the wrought iron.  And here it is, the 400 block, directly across from the cathedral. It is the saddest block on Colfax I think.

It contains: an empty space, Hub Cap Annie, China Kitchen ($1.25 Scoop) and the Denver Drug and Liquor, apartments above. And here is something new and the best part of the walk, the reason I am doing this project, seeing something old for the first time: COLDEST BE ON THE HILL. You know what I’m talking about. The marquee above the liquor store and haven’t we all just said the word BEER in our minds, surely that’s what it’s supposed to say. Obviously. But for the first time I read it for what it says. Let me help you out: (The) coldest (are) on the hill. COLDEST BE ON THE HILL. There is so much unexplored territory here I am giddy. The coldest what or who? I will find out. My legs keep moving, got to get to work and here I am across from the Red Room (defunct) and what do I see on its window but two banners proclaiming the future: Uptown Brother’s Brewing Company. Alright! I will have to make a geographic exception no doubt and check it out when it’s ready. A man behind me is following right along and proclaims “Opening Sooner or Later, ha ha!”. Oh yeah that is what the banners say, I look at him and give a chuckle, he with coffee and cigarette and red eyes and a been-up-all-night swagger. Ahh, a moment.  This block is rich and ripe and all of you scared to check out the eatery with me don’t know what you’ll be missing.

1 comment:

  1. I think your mom would like to see that.

    ReplyDelete