MY PROJECT TO EAT AT EVERY EATING ESTABLISHMENT ON COLFAX, FROM GRANT TO COLORADO BLVD IN GEOGRAPHICAL ORDER, MINUS THE CHAINS.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

What is this?







Colfaxavenue.com says that Colfax (US Highway 40) is the longest commercial street in the USA, running from Strasburg to Golden. I have never heard of Strasburg and I do not intend to go there in search of food or to get a tattoo or buy liquor. Colfaxavenue.com does not have a section on eateries. Denverrestaurants.us comes up with zero matches to my query when I entered Colfax. 

A google search of bars on Colfax is another matter. About.com tells me about a Colfax pub crawl –10 bars in one night!—the first of which listed is the now defunct Red Room, a place where for one pessimistic afternoon I was forced to imagine my job as its manager. I stole a pint glass when I was there, and my moralistic co-worker saw me, so you know, that made me feel even crappier. I even have a very distant memory of djing at the Red Room, or perhaps just wanting to dj there. But I digress, as the space-void that is the Red Room will not be on my eatery list.

What am I going to do? I am going to eat at every eating establishment on Colfax, in geographical order, from Sherman to Colorado Blvd, minus the chains. If it’s a bar it must also serve food, so for example Lost Lake will be out as pretzels don’t really constitute food. 

Why am I doing this? Because I have lived on Colfax for 2 and a half years and I don’t know it at all. On the rare occasion I walk down it from home to work, I have my mask on, my walls up, my gaze stony and closed. But I’m fascinated, especially lately. I keep noticing new things, that is, things I have never noticed before. Hardly anything on Colfax is new. I'd like to get to know the oldies but goodies before Colfax turns into another Belmar. I am a food critic in that I eat food and I’m a critical thinker, but that’s as far as it’s gone. I’m not doing this to judge, I’m doing it for the experience. I am going to eat and drink and write and talk and generally just have one experience a week that I wouldn’t normally have if I weren’t doing this. And I’m going to share it with anyone and everyone who cares in the way that thousands, millions of other people do: on a blog.

3 comments:

  1. i can't wait til' you get to la abeja.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw you in the Post today. What a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also read about your blog in the Denver Post today under Yum-Yum. I have had food quests in Denver for a long time, like best fried chicken, best Reuben, best onion rings. I look forward to reading about your experiences. I like the way you write. I am guessing you don't like wind?

    ReplyDelete